Multi-stakeholder Dialogue: Water-Energy-Food (WEF) Nexus and SDGs Implementation Supporting policy coherence efforts in achieving the sustainable development goal efforts and implementation. Contact: Rabi H. Mohtar, USA, email@example.com
This event, and its consortium of partners, are the outcome of a momentum that has grown since the 2016 Stockholm World Water Week and which continued at the 2017 World Water Congress. These events and the work conducted by the consortium partners paved the way to Brasilia 2018.
Co-organizers include: Texas A&M University, International Food Policy Research Institute, Global Water Partnership, OCP Policy Center, International Water Management Institute, World Wildlife Fund, International Union for Conservation on Nature, Stockholm Environment Institute, The World Bank, Asian Development Bank, World Water Council, International Water Resources Association, Global Environmental Facility, Water Foundry, Circle of Blue, and GIZ, UNU Flores, The International Commission on Irrigation and Drainage (ICID), University of Nebraska, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (UN FAO), International Water Association(IWA).
The session will include a keynote address followed by a panel between representatives of relevant sectors, including banking and funding agencies, governance, science, public-private partnerships (PPPs), communications and public engagement. The moderated discussion will also address audience questions directed at the formulation of a motion for debate. The debate will support the policy coherence efforts of the Forum process toward achieving the sustainable development goal efforts and their implementation. The session will be conducted in English, translation to Portugese will be provided.
The Cancun Whitepaper (submitted)
Additional literature of interest:
- United Nations Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (UN ECLAC), Maureen Ballestero Vargas and Tania Lopez Lee. The Water-Energy-Food Nexus in Costa Rica: The Case of the Upper Reventazon River Basin. December 2017. access
- OCP Policy Center, Rabi Mohtar. Climate Change and the Water-Energy-Food Nexus in the MENA Region. OCP Policy Brief. October 2017 PB-17/39
- OCP Policy Center, Global Nexus. Morocco’s Water Security: Productivity, Efficiency, Integrity. OCP Policy Brief October 2017 PB-17/34.
- OCP Policy Center, Rabi H. Mohtar. What Role Can Renewable Energy and Water and Food Securities Play for North Africa and the Middle East? OCP Policy Brief. July 2017. PB-17-28. July 2017.
- Bassel Daher, WEF Nexus Research Group, and Texas A&M University (2017). IWRA Sustainability in the Water-Energy-Food Nexus: Bridging Science and Policy Making. Policy Briefing Water International, 6 download
- Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL) Latin America El Nexo Entre el Agua, la energia y la alimentacion en America Latina y el Caribe: planificacion, marco normativo e identificacion de interconexiones prioritarias. April 2017. access
- Nexus Regional Dialogue Programme (NRD) GIZ. Practical Planning Management of WEF-Nexus Issues in Germany. April 2017. Download
- OCP Policy Center, Rabi H. Mohtar. The Role of Soils in Global Water and Food Security. OCP Policy Brief April 2016. PB-16/11.
- Nexus Regional Dialogue Programme (NRD) GIZ. Coordination of Sectoral Interests in the Nexus Between Water, Energy and Agriculture. Mechanisms and Interests in Germany. March 2017. Download
- OCP Policy Center, Rabi Mohtar. The Water-Energy-Food Nexus: Who Owns it?, OCP Policy Brief January 2016. PB-16/03.
- Ait-Kadi, Mohamed, Chair,Global Water Partnership (GWP). 2016. Water for Development and Development for Water: Realizing the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) Vision. Elsevier B.B. Open access. doi: 10.1016/j.aqpro.2016.06.013
- Gyawali, D. (2015) Nexus Governance: Harnessing Contending Forces at Work,
Nexus Dialogue Synthesis Papers. Gland, Switzerland: IUCN DOI: 10.2305/IUCN.CH.2015.NEX.5.enNexus access
- Ozment, S., DiFrancesco, K., Gartner, T. (2015) The role of natural infrastructure in the water, energy and food nexus, Nexus Dialogue Synthesis Papers. Gland, Switzerland: IUCN DOI: 10.2305/IUCN.CH.2015.NEX.4.en access
- Daniel Yeo, Global Green Growth Institute Ethiopia, OCP Policy Center, Barcelona Centre for International Affairs (CIDOB). Thinking to practice: Applying complexity. The Water-Food-Energy Nexus in Global Drylands: Bridging Science and Policy (paper presented at the conference on the Water-Food-Energy Nexus in Drylands, Rabat, 12-13 June, 2014.) download
- IWA / IUCN. Nexus Dialogue on Water Infrastructure Solutions. Nexus Case Studies. access
- IWA The Water-Energy-Food Nexus in Latin America and the Caribbean. access
- IWA Nexus Trade-offs and Strategies Report 2016 access
- 6th World Water Forum HLP. 2012. Water, Food & Energy Nexus. Time for Solutions. Case Study Nexus. Download